Catie Come Home

Our adoption journey to Guatemala

April 21, 2005

Snapshots from Guatemala

I'm still a traditionalist when it comes to photography -- I use the same Minolta X-370 SLR that I bought with my high-school savings in 1985 -- but Dad entered the digital era a few years ago and got a new digital camera for Christmas in December. That means we were quickly able to upload the photos he took in Guatemala to my computer so I could take my first crack at photoblogging.

I've just finished pulling an all-nighter to figure out how to use the free Hello photo-sharing software through Blogger in order to get the photos online. You can see my photo essay in the posts below. I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I enjoyed reliving the experiences so soon after we arrived home.

Blogging is a fantastic innovation. I wish I had known about it in 2001 and 1999, during our first two adoptions. I'm sure Kimberly loves it, too. The love of blogging that kept me wide awake all night also meant she got to sleep through Catie's 5 a.m. feeding. So Kimberly got the sleep she deserves after a hard week, I got some quality bonding time with our new daughter and everyone else gets a quick and almost immediate glimpse into our wonderful journey over the past several days. Sounds like a win-win-win situation.

1 Comments:

  • At 4/25/2005 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful, wonderful! YOu have THREE happy ending stories now to share. That said....

    March 17, 2005
    SEND YOUR STORY TO CONGRESS
    A group of attorneys in Guatemala is looking to put together a booklet of Guatemalan adoption stories. The request was made to Focus On Adoption following their recent conference in Guatemala. During the conference, a short booklet with about 15 sample stories was presented as evidence for "why adoption works". Apparently it made quite an impression and thus came the need for a more extensive booklet of stories that advocates for adoption could share with government officials, Guatemalan Congressional representatives, and basically keep "re-circulating" the positive image of adoption among newcomers to ICA issues in Guatemala.

    PLEASE HELP by sending in your adoption story. The ultimate message of the compilation needs to be "Why adoption works". It should focus on how adoption has touched your lives and how you feel about your child(ren), elaborating on the life and opportunity that you would like to provide for your child(ren). Any stories of special needs adoption, older children adoption, sibling group adoption, etc. reaffirm the more extensive need that adoption can also serve. It would also be helpful if adoptive parents commented on how they feel private foster care may have made a difference for their child. Parents should also include 5-10 photos of their child/family. This not only pulls on anyone’s heartstrings, but also adds to the legitimacy of the stories.

    I know that confidentiality is always a question. If you reveal your names in your written story, they will be included in the compilation. But we will not insert names, take them off of the envelope, or anything like that. So if you are only comfortable with your first names being used, don’t put your last name into the piece.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home