Catie Come Home

Our adoption journey to Guatemala

April 17, 2005

Safe and Sound in the Sling

As I did with both Anthony and Elli, I have trekked through both Guatemala City and Antigua with Catie in a sling draped over my shoulder and across my chest. Unlike Anthony and Elli, though, Catie is not content for me to sit still while wearing the sling. She wants to be moving and lets me know it, quite loudly, when I dare to sit even briefly. The crying stops as soon as I arise.

Something tells me Catie may actually best me in her level of stubborness. Anthony has always been pretty easygoing; Elli is pretty stubborn in her own right but is no match for Daddy; but Catie has me beat so far. I cave every time, even when my back is killing me and I just want to sit. I try to resist her wailing, no matter how loud it gets, but I eventually crumble. She already must know that she is probably going to be the "baby of the family."

The sling, by the way, has attracted quite a bit of attention this week. Several Guatemalan women have asked about it. They recognize the bright material as being Guatemalan in origin but aren't used to seeing the sling draped over the shoulder and across the front of the body. The Mayans here carry their children on their backs or across their chests using belts under the shoulder (at least that's how I think Kimberly interpreted the one woman's comments to us).

Kimberly also noted that Guatemalans probably aren't used to seeing a man carry a baby. I certainly haven't seen any other men doing so. Even other adoptive families here tend to use strollers to transport their babies, despite the cobblestone roads in Antigua. But you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have cherished every minute of carrying our three children around Guatemalan in a sling. I don't care if I do look like a girly man.

1 Comments:

  • At 4/18/2005 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :-) Girly man. Ahh the joys of children! I can't wait to have you all back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home